Trenton Free Public Library provides basic Notary Public Services as a benefit to residents of our
community and or patrons with a TFPL library card.
Policies and Guidelines
- It is recommended patrons call the Library prior to a visit to ensure Notary staff are available.
- Notary services will be provided on a first come first serve basis.
- Notary service is limited to three (3) documents per person, per visit.
- Valid photo identification is required in the form of a driver’s license, non-driver identification card, or passport.
- Witnesses will not be provided by the Library, nor may witnesses be solicited from patrons using the Library. The witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and the witness must possess valid photo identification.
- New Jersey Law requires the Notary and person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with one another. There may be no translating for Notary Services.
- A notary may not attest to true copies of driver’s licenses, passports, etc. The Notary will issue a notarized Affidavit of True Copy that places the responsibility on the person making the copy.
- Blank documents may not be notarized.
- The Notary will only attest to documents signed in their presence. Please do not sign documents prior to requesting Notary Service.
- There is a $2.50 charge for each seal affixed to a document.
Hours of Availability
- Notary services are available during the library’s normal operating hours:
- Monday: 11 am to 7 pm
- Tuesday – Friday: 9 am to 5 pm
- Notary service is not available in the first thirty (30) minutes after opening or in the thirty (30) minutes prior to closing.
- Notary Service is not available for all documents. Please see documents unable to be notarized in the Library:
- Attorney-in-Fact, Codicils, Deeds, Depositions, Durable Powers of Attorney, Form I-9s, Living Trusts, Living Wills, Medical Directives, Photographs, Proofs of Execution, Protests of Non-Acceptance, Protests of Non-Payment, Wills, and electronic banking documents of any kind, are some of the examples of documents are unable to be notarized as these documents may require technical or legal knowledge and are beyond the scope of basic services.
- Notaries are unable to provide Signature Guarantees, Medallion Signatures, or Medallion
- Signature Guarantees.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, notaries will not provide service if the customer, document, or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raises any issue of authenticity.
- Ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at their sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
- Please note, Notary Services are a courtesy provided at Trenton Free Public Library and are not the Notary’s primary duty. Therefore, the Notary may ask a person to wait while the Notary tends to a patron or patrons requiring assistance, takes a telephone call, or tends to other Library matters.